My hopes for this blog is to provide other mothers with support, information, new insights, and hopefully a few laughs as we learn together what is really means to be "Mom."

Friday, January 18, 2008

Beating Morning Sickness

This topic is near and dear to my heart today. For me, and most women that I have talked to, the combination of morning sickness and fatigue seems to make the first trimester of pregnancy almost unbearable. While I have yet to find a sure fire way to combat the extreme sleepiness, I have found a few tricks that should help you control your stomach.

The first thing is probably the most important, especially since all of us are different. Take the time to listen to what your body is telling you! Our bodies are excellent at letting us know what we need, but we often fail to take the time to listen. Pay attention to see if your nausea is triggered by a certain thing. Maybe a time of day, odor, or certain smell can trigger your gag reflex. Then do your best to work around that trigger.

The second thing is to do your best to keep your blood sugar level. Easily explained, don't let yourself get too hungry. Hunger pains are a big trigger for me personally. Also, make sure that you don't eat too much. As you are probably aware, your digestive system slows down during pregnancy, causing many pregnancy aches. Filling up too much can leave all of the food heavy on your stomach, and can be a really bad combination if you have a bought of nausea. Eating five or six small meals a day works best whenever possible.

The third thing that I have found might just be a personal trigger for me, but I feel that it is worth mentioning anyway, even if all it does is demonstrate the importance of my first tip. I have found that whenever I become stressed or otherwise emotionally upset, particularly if I am worry about the pregnancy or life afterward, I become very nauseated. For me being calm and relaxed is a big part of daily nausea control.

While I can't guarantee that following these tips with provide you with a puke free pregnancy, I can vouch for them. If you are currently struggling, just know that I am truly in this with right now and that this too shall pass!

No comments: