My hopes for this blog is to provide other mothers with support, information, new insights, and hopefully a few laughs as we learn together what is really means to be "Mom."

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Daycare Dilemma

So here is my personal challenge of the week. Do I find a full time job outside of the home or take the nessacary steps to offer childcare in my home?

Before I found out I was pregnant, I had finally reached a point where I was happy with the direction of my professional life. I had found a career path that I actually enjoyed. I was making plans for advancement and looking forward to the new challenges infront of me. I also found a way that I could work weekends, and only have to find childcare for Austin for three days a week.

Now that I am faced with having another child, I don't know if that is still right for me. I have been able to work part time during Austin's first year, and that has been a blessing. I have been able to be there for him while still working and doing something for myself too. It has, and continues to be, very important to my husband and myself that we are able to raise our son without depending on a daycare center. I just want to be the one to teach him things, not someone else. But it has also been very important for me do something outside of the house that makes me feel good about myself. I really do respect mothers who are able to stay at home with their childern, but I have found that I am happier (and a better mom) when I also have an "outside" life.

I want to provide the same support to my next child that I was able to give to Austin for his first year, but doing so would mean giving up my current career ambitions. As an alternative, I am thinking about providing childcare in my home. I would be able to earn money and feel that I am contributing fincially to our family, but I would also be able to be there for my childern. Not to meantion, that I would be able to help out other mothers who need quality care for their childern. Providing that service would definately be something that I would make me proud. My concern is that I would be unhappy being home all day, and I don't feel that it would be fair to start this and then back out if I decided it isn't what I want. That just wouldn't be fair to others who would be depending on me.

I have a lot to think about. I'll keep you posted on my thoughts, and would really appreciate any of your opinions as well.

No comments: